What personal information do we collect?
We may automatically collect your personal information, or you may provide it to us, which may include but is not limited to -
- contact details, such as your name and surname, email address, postal and/or physical address, phone number and social media handle;
- your gender, race or age;
- your identification and/or passport number;
- your country of birth;
- your date of birth;
- your profile information, such as job title, educational and professional background and qualifications, and photograph;
- comments, feedback and other information you provide to us, including search query data and questions or information you send to us;
- interests and communication preferences, including preferred language.
We may also automatically collect information about how you and your device interact with us, which may include but is not limited to -
- computer, device and connection information such as IP address, browser type and version, operating system and other software installed on your device, mobile platform and unique device identifier and other technical identifiers, error reports and performance data;
- usage data, such as the features you used, the settings you selected, your URL click stream data, including date and time stamp and referring and exit pages, search terms you used, and pages you visited or searched for; and/or
- for location, the region, city or town where your device is located in order to provide you with more relevant content for where you are located.
Should your personal information change, please inform us and provide us with updates as soon as reasonably possible to enable us to update your details. You may choose to provide additional personal information to us, in which event you agree to provide accurate and current information, and not to impersonate or misrepresent any person or entity or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with anyone or anything.
How do we use your personal information?
We may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- to fulfil any contractual agreements between you and us;
- to provide, activate and manage your access to and use of our services;
- to verify your identity;
- to respond to your requests, enquiries, comments or concerns;
- to send you information;
- to invite you to attend events, participate in user-testing and surveys;
- to notify you about any changes, updates and other announcements relating to our services;
- to provide technical support;
- for audit and record-keeping purposes;
- to enhance and improve our products or services, and to develop new products, services or benefits;
- to offer you customised content;
- to deliver marketing material regarding current or new products or services offered by us or any of our divisions and/or partners. You may unsubscribe from the receipt of such marketing material at any time and thereafter we will not market to you;
- to detect and prevent fraud, crime, money laundering or other malpractice;
- to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements
Before or at the time of collecting your personal information, we will identify the purpose(s) for which the personal information is being collected.
We will only collect your personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
Special Personal Information
Special Personal Information is information relating to your religious or philosophical beliefs, your race or ethnic origin, your trade union membership, your political persuasion, your health or sex life, your biometric information, or your criminal behaviour.
We shall not process any of the aforementioned Special Personal Information without your consent, or where this is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of a right or an obligation in law.
Having regard to the nature of our work, it is unlikely that we will ever have to process Special Personal Information, but should it be necessary the guidance of the Information Officer, or their deputy/delegate, must be sought.
Processing of Personal Information of Children
We will only process the personal information of a child if we have the consent of the child’s parent or legal guardian.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Your personal information will not be disclosed to any person without your voluntary and informed consent but always subject to the following: Disclosure of any information provided or submitted by you will only be allowed to be made where:
- such information is in the public domain; or
- we are obliged in terms of any law, order of court, legal process or other lawful reason to disclose such information.
We will disclose your personal information to any third party only for the purposes as set out below:
- to our employees and/or third party service providers who assist us to interact with you via our website, email or any other method, who need to know your personal information in order to assist us to communicate with you properly and enhance the product and/or services offered by us;
- to law enforcement, government officials, fraud detection agencies or other third parties when we believe in good faith that the disclosure of personal information is necessary to prevent physical harm or financial loss, to report or support the investigation into suspected illegal activity or to investigate violations of our Terms and Conditions.
Security of Personal Information
We will take all reasonable measures to ensure that your personal information is kept secure and is protected against unauthorised or unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction or damage, alteration, disclosure or access and to provide you with access to your personal information to view and/or update personal details.
Whilst we will do all things reasonably necessary to protect your rights of privacy, we cannot guarantee or accept any liability whatsoever for unauthorised or unlawful disclosures of your personal information, whilst in our possession, made by third parties who are not subject to our control, unless such disclosure is as a result of our gross negligence.
We acknowledge that we are bound by applicable law to keep personal information confidential and to protect such information, and we are committed to conducting our business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.
Your Rights: Access to Information and Correction of Information
You have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you. To do this, simply contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify what information you require. We will need a copy of your ID document to confirm your identity before providing details of your personal information.
Please note that any such access request may be subject to a payment of a legally allowable fee.
You have the right to ask us to update, correct or delete your personal information. We will require a copy of your ID document to confirm your identity before making changes to personal information we may hold about you. We would appreciate it if you would keep your personal information accurate.
Transfer of Personal Information
We may transfer your personal information outside South Africa to a foreign country if necessary.
You may access and/or correct any of your personal information that we hold by sending an email to email@example.com.